In early August 1859, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors approves the establishment of a Jewish Cemetery in the Mission District–the location is not yet determined. Congregations Emanu-El and Sherith Israel relocate their small Spring Valley Jewish cemetery to the recently surveyed and platted Mission lands. The old Spring Valley cemetery, located at the corner of today’s Gough and Vallejo streets, was only about one acre in size and quickly reached capacity as it served as a burial ground for Jews in San Francisco and throughout Gold Rush country (Voorsanger, The Chronicles of Emanu-El, 138).
The clip from the Daily Alta California reports on the Board of Supervisors decision to allow the relocation of the cemetery into the Mission lands.
“City Items,” Daily Alta California, August 2, 1859, p. 2, col. 3. Accessed: http://goo.gl/qKgKxk.
Voorsanger, Jacob. The Chronicles of Emanu-El: being an account of the rise and progress of the Congregation Emanu-El, which was founded in July, 1850, and will celebrate fiftieth anniversary December 23, 1900. San Francisco: [Press of G. Spaulding & Co.], 1900. Accessed: https://archive.org/stream/chroniclesofeman00cong#page/n7/mode/2up.